How It Works
- Choose a background.
- Personalize the character.
- Record yourself speaking or type in the text you’d like the voice to read. Once nice thing about typing in the text is that the reader will pause at commas and stop at periods. This is a good way for students to self-correct their punctuation if something doesn’t sound right in their writing. (steps 1, 2 and 3 can be done in any order)
- Share your 30-second creation or save it to your camera roll.
Common Core Connection
There are so many ways that Tellagami can help all students achieve the Common Core state standards, but this is also a great app for engaging English Language Learners in brief oral language exercises. Let’s start with the Common Core Standards.
College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Speaking and Listening
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.1: Prepare for and effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.2: Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.4: Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development and style are appropriate to task, purpose and audience.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.5: Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.6: Adapt speech to a variety of contexts and communicative tasks, demonstrating command of formal English when indicated or appropriate.
College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Language
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.1: Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.3: Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.6: Acquire and use accurately a range of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases sufficient for reading, writing, speaking, and listening at the college and career readiness level; demonstrate independence in gathering vocabulary knowledge when encountering an unknown term important to comprehension or expression.
English Language Development Standards and Proficiency Levels
ELD students also benefit from using Tellagami. The app helps students develop their Productive Language and their Accuracy of Production skills. The following document provides and overview of the ELD Standards and Proficiency Level Descriptors for California: http://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/el/er/documents/sbeoverviewpld.pdf.
Pages 8-13 of this document contain a table that helps teachers identify the proficiency levels and the language skills that ELD students should have. These standards and intertwined with the Common Core State Standards, and they focus on the Mode of Language in addition to the students’ Knowledge of Language.
What Do You Think?
How have you used Tellagami in the classroom?